Wednesday, July 11, 2012

HOW TO GET YOUR OWN COPYRIGHT AND SAVE MONEY

Yesterday I went on line and got a copyright for my new novel, Millers And Flies, and found the process to be uncomplicated.  I have never done this before so I had to proceed slowly but, even so, it only took me about an hour and I saved at least $30.00.  I began by going to www.copyright.gov  where I chose eCO which means electronic Copyright Office.  From there I followed the step by step process with several side trips to read instructions and information.  I paid the $35.00 fee with my credit card and finished by uploading my manuscript.  It will be a few weeks before I get my certificate but the copyright is effective as of July 10th.  I have paid $100.00 to have a publisher get a copyright and it would be $65.00 if I had done it by mail, besides having to mail a copy of the book to the copyright office.  The process can be more complicated and cost more for other types of projects such as a collection of works or works by multiple authors but for a single, unpublished work it is really quite simple.  One word of caution; be absolutely sure you have done everything exactly the way you want it to be before you take the final step because, once it is submitted, you cannot change it.  You can cancel it and make a new application but your fee will not be refunded.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. Please take a moment to leave a comment